Figs are the fruit of the Moraceae fig. Because the leaves of figs are thick and dark green, but the flowers they open are very small, which are often covered by branches and leaves and are not easy to be found by people. . Figs are soft and rotten when ripe, sweet like persimmons without seeds, rich and comprehensive in nutrition. In addition to containing various amino acids, vitamins and minerals necessary for the human body, they also contain citric acid, fumaric acid, succinic acid, quinic acid, lipase , protease and other ingredients, has a good therapeutic effect.Who should never eat figs
The efficacy and role of figs
- The edible rate of figs is high, the edible part of fresh fruit is 97%, the amount of dried fruit and candied fruit is 100%, and the acid content is low, and there are no hard seeds, so it is especially suitable for the elderly and children.
- Figs contain malic acid, citric acid, lipase, protease, hydrolase, etc., which can help the human body digest food and promote appetite, and because it contains a variety of lipids, it has a laxative effect.
- The lipase and hydrolase contained in figs have the functions of reducing blood lipids and decomposing blood lipids, which can reduce the deposition of fat in blood vessels, thereby lowering blood pressure and preventing coronary heart disease.
- Figs have anti-inflammatory and detumescence properties, which can benefit the pharynx and detumescence.
- The sap of the immature fruit contains active ingredients such as psoralen and bergamot lactone, and an aromatic substance benzaldehyde can be extracted from the juice of the mature fruit. It can prevent the occurrence of various cancers, delay the development of transplanted adenocarcinoma and lymphosarcoma, promote their degeneration, and will not be toxic to normal cells.
Nutritional value of figs
- Figs are rich in amino acids, 1.0% for fresh fruit and 5.3% for dried fruit; 18 species have been found so far. Not only has 8 kinds of amino acids necessary for the human body, but also shows high utilization value, and especially the content of aspartic acid (1.9% dry weight) is the highest, which has a good effect on fighting leukemia, restoring physical strength, and eliminating fatigue. Therefore, a fig drink is used abroad as a “substitute for caffeine”.
- The dry matter content of figs is very high, fresh fruit is 14-20%, and dried fruit is more than 70%. Among them, the glucose content that can be directly absorbed and utilized by the human body accounts for 34.3% (dry weight), fructose accounts for 31.2% (dry weight) and sucrose only accounts for 7.82% (dry weight). Therefore, the calories are low, and it is called low-calorie food in Japan. Domestic medical research has proved that it is a weight loss health food.
- Figs contain polysaccharides, accounting for 6.49% (dry weight), mainly arabinose and galactose, which have a certain effect on anti-aging.
- Figs contain a variety of vitamins, especially carotene. The fresh fruit is 30mg/100g, and the dried fruit is 70mg/100g, ranking above peaches, grapes, plums, pears, citrus and sweet persimmons.
The purchase of figs
When choosing figs, first of all, you must choose the big ones, which are full of flesh and have a lot of water; secondly, try to choose the darker ones, so that the fruits are ripe and the taste is sweeter; It is relatively soft; finally, avoid buying figs with large tail openings, which will inevitably be contaminated with dust and bacteria in the air, which is not very hygienic.
Many of the bagged “figs” sold in supermarkets are made from papaya or radish. There are granular flower buds inside figs, which are expensive. Most of the solid, long and cheap figs are faked with papaya.
storage of figs
Figs cannot be stored at room temperature, wrap them in newspaper and put them in the refrigerator, which can keep for a few days. Fresh fruit is treated with 200-300mg/L sorbic acid, which can reduce the damage of mold. Using 50% benzene to soak the fruit for 20 minutes can control the fruit rot. Fresh figs are difficult to store for a long time, and it is recommended to make dried figs, preserved fruits, jams, juices, etc.
Read more tips about health and fitness http://www.growmorehealth.com